I’m the only person I know who really digs Laibach. (Joe introduced me to it, of course, so he is the Ur-Laibach fan, but I don’t know if he digs it quite so much these days as back around 1990 or so…) I keep trying to share it with people, and they keep hating it.
Besides their original stuff, Laibach has covered:
- Live is Life, by Opus (warning: extremely brief female nudity at the beginning of the video)
- The Final Countdown, by Europe
- One Vision by Queen
- Sympathy for the Devil, by the Rolling Stones
- War, by Edwin Starr
- Across the Universe, by the Beatles
- In The Army Now, by Status Quo
One of their more accessible and recent songs, is Tanz Mit Laibach, which as the title of this blog entry notes, calls out in its lyrics to the Charlie Chaplin film The Great Dictator…
So what’s not to like?
Yeah, I know. Next week I’ll get over it, and have an unhealthy obsession with some other weird artist… But Laibach will still be their own special kind of awesome.